Sunday, December 30, 2012

Brussel Sprouts with Carrots

Blog's Category: My Staple Food, My Own Fast and Easy

Intro
So far, and by far, it's my favorite way to cook brussel sprouts. I really do not understand why there is so many "brussel sprout haters" in a world. This vegetable, just by look itself, could win one of the first places among vegetables, how cute this mini-cabbage is! Its taste largely depends on accompanying ingredients and seasoning. Although I think its own natural sweetness and light pleasing bitterness should not be overweight by them.

Variations
- I have tried to deviate from the recipe below but decided not to do this anymore. Really, why? The minimalistic ingredient list here is an ideal combination for my lovely brussel sprouts.

Taste Description
Sweet-&-sour with light grassy bitterness on a background.  

How to Serve
It can be ideal side dish to your meat or fish. We like to eat it served over the rice or pasta. It is also great as topping for vegetarian crostini appetizer.

Brussel Sprouts with Carrots



3 lb brussel sprouts, cut in half
3-5 tbs olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced
3 tbs vinegar
salt to taste
black pepper to taste (optional)

- In a large frying pan, on a medium low heat, cook onion in olive oil for couple minutes until soft and translucent.

- Add brussell sprouts and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally on a low heat until sprouts are tender. It may take 20-30 minutes. In a middle of cooking process, add salt and pepper.

- Periodically, check brussell sprouts' lower stem area on tenderness using knife. When it tender-soft (not mushy!), add vinegar, stir lightly for another minute and take off the heat. It's done! Enjoy! Remember, leftovers will still be good on the next day (of course if any left :))
*********************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES
I like to use my favorite tool  to slice carrots, mandolin (on a left). Just be careful - I cut myself again recently so be careful if you use mandolin. I thought my expertise in using this tool is high - nope! Good thing - latest cut was nothing comparing with the first one and I'm still ignoring guard that comes with mandolin :)


Checking for doneness..

Brussel sprouts are tender and slightly caramelized - just perfect. Now I'm adding vinegar to counteract (just slightly!) sweetness of carrots and it's done. Taste it. Adjust vinegar if needed. If accidentally you added too much vinegar - no worries, add a bit of sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!