Monday, February 25, 2013

Chicken Egg-Drop Soup

Blog's Category:  My Own Fast and Easy, My Staple Food

Chicken Egg-Drop Soup  

Intro
When my papa cooked his soups he liked to add eggs to almost all of them. My favorite were the pieces of larger blobs of egg whites and, as a youngest in a family, I had privilege to fish them all out.  Ohhh.. memories..
Last Saturday I decided to make quick soup to utilize cup of plain rice leftovers and several pieces of  a raw boneless chicken thighs. I was looking for a way to spruce it up and recalled my father's egg-drop soups. Well, I've got a recipe...As this impromptu soup come out very good and got great reviews of my family, I though, that sharing it with you would be not such a bad idea, right?

Variations
- Replace rice with a handful of noodles, or with a cup of frozen peas, or a can of navy beans - I'm sure it will work here as well.
- I used just one egg for a whole pot of soup but I don't see why you would not use another one!
- Fresh herbs can be omitted or replaced with a dry herbs but I would not do this - fresh herbs in an egg-drop soup are such a perfect pairing that I'd hate to lose it .

Taste Description
Very refreshing (thanks to fresh herbs), very whimsical looking and fun to eat (thanks to eggs) and of course full of flavors, comforting and fulfilling. It does not burst with sharp tastes, aromas or spiciness. It will rather envelops you into the softest and cuddliest flavors ever.

How to Serve
Serve hot or warm. It will be good the next day and day after. Can't tell any further as a large pot of this soup mysteriously disappeared after two days in a fridge.


Chicken Egg-Drop Soup    


  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 5-7 chicken thighs (any other parts of chicken will do as well)
  • 2 cups of cooked rice(or 1 cup of uncooked rice)
  • 4 potatoes
  • 1-2 raw eggs
  • 1-2 cups of fresh parsley or dill, chopped
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • salt
  • black pepper, freshly ground
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1" cubes, cover with a cold water and set aside.

- In a pot, on a medium heat, cook onion on olive oil until translucent.

- Add chicken pieces and cook stirring until onion and chicken starts to brown up.

- Add couple quarts of water, bring to a boil and then continue to cook on medium-low for about 10 minutes.

- Add potato along with a water it was in. Bring to a boil, add salt to taste and simmer until potato and chicken are completely cooked.

- Add rice. Simmer for 10 more minutes.

- Take an egg and, using knife, make small holes on a both ends of an egg. Shaking egg above the pot, pour slowly egg into the soup. Use a spoon to distribute egg evenly in a soup while pouring the egg.

- Bring soup to a boil, add fresh herbs and take soup off the heat. It's done, enjoy! 
*********************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES












Do you see this large egg whites clouds - they are my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!