Friday, May 17, 2013

Nutty Kale Salad

I was very skeptical about this ultra healthy salad until I made it. Who could think that tough macho kale can be so tender and delicious?

Blog's Category: My Own Fast and Easy

Nutty Kale Salad



Intro

Though category for this recipe states "My Own Fast and Easy", I have to give credit to my co-worker who first spotted this recipe in one of her cooking books. Heavily modified, I come out with this kale salad which, I'm so glad, deserves to be on my family menu forever (..is there such a thing as forever though?..).
Original recipe calls for pine nuts, which I replaced with whatever nuts I had on hand, namely walnuts, and dried currant omitted by me without hesitation.
Speaking of my co-worker, isn't it remarkable that she managed to turn her health (life) around by starting to cook at home using local fresh and wholesome ingredients versus eating at restaurants and on take-outs? Tell me about power of right food we nourish our body with!
Getting back to our salad.. please, please, please give it a try, make this salad and you will understand why I'm so annoying about this. Even my food-conservative hubby tried and totally approved it ;)


What is it?

Fresh-fresh-fresh kale, rubbed with salt and consequently beautifully softened up, mixed with lemon, garlic, nuts and best-possible olive oil.

Taste Description

What strikes at first it's a wonderful texture: tender-crunchy, moist greenery of kale friends up with meaty texture of nuts. Secondly, you notice great garlicky acidity of lemon. This acidity is not bothering you at all, it's so natural and refreshing here, with a light citrusy aroma of lemon. Really, surprisingly bright and delicious salad!


How to Serve

I can eat it on its own but as soon as it has very nice sourness, it will go as side to any of your entree. Serve right away. It probably will keep in a fridge for a several hours and may even become better but we didn't have chance to check it out - we just cleared out a bowl in one set.

Nutty Kale Salad

  • bunch of fresh kale
  • 2 cups of walnut halves
  • 1 lemon - zest and juice
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • about 1/3 tsp of corse salt (or to taste)
  • black pepper to taste (optional)
  • 4-5 tbs very good extra-virgin olive oil

- Wash nicely and tear kale leaves off the stalk. Discard stalks. Chop kale relatively finely, about 1/4" strips.

- In a large bowl, rub kale and salt with your hand for a minute or two until kale become moist, bright-green and somewhat softer.

- Add remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly to distribute all ingredients evenly. Enjoy!

Some Notes

- Substitute walnuts with pine (pignoli) nuts or pecans if you wish, but I really liked it with walnuts.
*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!