Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sushi Wrap

Just scrape around your pantry and fridge to find couple of necessary ingredients and you are good to go for a nice and tasty, sushi inspired, wrap.

Blog's Category: Hors D'oeuvre, My Own Fast and Easy, Vegetarian





Intro

Lately my daughter was traveling around a lot for her pharmacy rotation's administration block of a final year of college. I'm not very happy about the idea of her driving 2 hours away to some remote pharmacy but what can I do? I do lunches.. I pack lunches for her because she have to eat on-a-go now. Frankly it should be over at the end of month....

Well.. this quick wrap I have made today in a morning turned out so good that I have to share the idea here. I hope it will be valuable one for you too :) 

I love nori seaweed sold in oriental stores. They are packed already roasted, no need for roasting them over the flame. I actually like to eat them as is: crunchy, salty and flavorful. I guess I'm not the only one who loves it - lately I see a lot of them all over western groceries here, in Cleveland, packed into snack portions.

Actually idea of sticking nori into the sandwiches is not new to me, I did it before. This time it's a wrap to be invaded by sushi nori. Let's go for it?


What is it?

It's a handful of cooked rice, your favorite canned fish and some vegetable strips, wrapped into tortilla/flatbread and nori seaweed sheet. Mayo, wasabi or/and mustard, smudged onto tortilla or flatbread, are used to "butter" things up.

Taste Description

Is it crime to say that it's better than sushi?  Or at least better than some sushi? Or, may be, it's our old good bread that sushi always lacked? I guess I said enough to be "boo-ed" by refined sushi lovers :)
Anyway... Nori plays a key role in the orchestra of flavors in this wrap. Smokey flavor of sprats, I used as "canned fish" ingredient, and rich, umami notes of mayo (yes I believe good mayo has a tons of umami) knock your taste buds out in a swirl of gastronomy pleasure ;)
Rice, celery and flatbread create fusion texture that is perfect carrier of all this goodness.
 
How to Serve

 Pack for lunch (take 2 if you are really hungry) and enjoy on-a-go while traveling or "glued" to your work place. It would be a great idea to cut them across into bite size portions for a hors d'oeuvre table.
Sushi Wrap


For 1 wrap:
  • 1 flatbread (or tortilla)
  • 1 tsp of good mayonnaise
  • 1 nori seaweed sheet
  • 2-3 tbs cooked rice
  • 5 small sprats (canned sardines in oil works well too)
  • 1 7" piece of celery rib, cut along into 3-4 sticks

- Assemble wrap: spread mayo onto the flatbread; then put a sheet of nori; then pile rice closer to the end of flatbread. Top rice with fish pieces and celery sticks (refer to pictures below). To pack a lunch, roll your wrap into square sheet of foil and twist the ends candy-like...cute, hah?


Note

- Add specks of mustard, wasabi or your favorite hot sauce on a pile of rice, fish and veggies for some kick. I didn't do this and my sushi wrap was still very good though I'm a fan of spiced food.

- Instead of canned fish, you can use ham, crab sticks, shrimp or whatever your creativity gene will throw for you:)
*******************************************************************************************************************************
IN PICTURES



Sprats (in abundance at a russian groceries) have an awesome smokiness to them. They are great in a combinations with bread and fresh vegetables.


..yummmm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!