Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Tarragon Pesto

If you have tarragon in your garden, this recipe is for you. You will need a lot of tarragon leaves to make this unbelievably delicious pesto. Do i have to even mention it's drop-dead healthy? 

Blog's Category: Hors D'oeuvre, International, My Own Fast and Easy, Vegetarian




Intro

Tarragon, or estragon, is not awfully popular here, in US. It's well known, although, in Europe. For those from Eastern Europe and from Kavkaz region, it may be known as tarkhun, herb widely used as spice herb as well as base for flavorful drink named by this herb "Tarkhun". I remember bottles of this everybody's favorite bright-green carbonated pop from my childhood.

In my home cooking "career", I discovered tarragon not that long ago and fall in love with it right away. It resulted in a big pot sitting on a deck with a thriving tarragon plant.

Recently, idea of making pesto with my tarragon come to my mind. I'm so pleased with what I've got that I have to share it with you immediately!


What is it?

It's pretty much basic pesto - herb, olive oil, parmesan-like cheese and nuts, finely minced in a blender not into easily spreadable paste but rather into coarse and crumbly topping.  As nuts I used almonds for this pesto.


Taste Description

Of course, sweet and tangy tarragon flavor dominates here. Shy one garlic clove addition runs a long way giving savory note to this sweetness. Toasted almond brings texture, substance and subtle delicious almond flavor. Cheese taste lays somewhere on a back there, helping to fuse those wonderful flavors all together. 


How to Serve/Store

It's a million ways to serve it - as topping on pasta, grains, salad, toast, even soups. We enjoyed it on a toasts, as filling for roll-ups and as topping for mashed potato.


Tarragon Pesto 





  • about 3 - 4 cups of tarragon leaves (just leaves, do not use woody stems)
  • 2 cups raw whole almonds
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • about 5 oz asiago cheese (2"x4"x2" piece) , cut into pieces
  • salt, black pepper to taste


- Toast whole almonds on a dry skillet on a medium-low heat, constantly shaking, until they are change meat color from white to light-gold. Transfer to a plate to cool down.

- Using kitchen processor, process all ingredients into coarse mix. Keep in a closed container in a fridge for up to 4 weeks.

- Serve and enjoy!



*******************************************************************************************************************************


IN PICTURES

This tarragon plant survived this year's mean winter and surprised me with a mature branches. I didn't even protected pot from a freeze... This is how it looks after severe "haircut" I made to him for this pesto recipe. Actually half of the leaves I blended with olive oil only and poured into ice cube tray. Then I throw cubes into zip-bag and keep in a freezer. I like to use my herbs this way, it's so convenient.

That's a lot of tarragon...

It took me about 15 minutes to strip leaves from a woody stems.. Piece of cake... Simultaneously watching morning news...


All tarragon on a bottom..

Wheeze...minute or two. Done!

Now, week later - just memories that left...

..very yummy as topping on a toasted rye bread, with tomato slice or piece of asiago. 


To make roll, use thin flour tortilla (I used armenian lavash), spread it with a very thin layer of mayo or ketchup, then evenly distribute pesto and roll tightly.

..wrap in a foil and keep in a fridge until ready to serve. To serve, cut with a sharp knife into pinwheels and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!